Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cover Girl Commercial - Weekly Blog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL-C58XlHPc

What do you see?

I have never been a ‘big’ fan of TV talk shows; however I do like the Ellen Degeneres Show and believe she brings something comical, fun and different to the table. However, a couple of days ago I found myself wondering about her true intentions on her new, believe it or not, Cover Girl commercial. Known to be hilarious on her TV talk show, wearing little makeup and shown to care less about her outer appearance than most television stars, demonstrated a somewhat different side of her in the Cover Girl commercial.
I quickly turned to my mom who was also watching the commercial for the first time, and we both agreed that we didn’t see Ellen being up for doing a commercial like this. Ellen’s first words in the commercial are “inner beauty is important, but not nearly as important as outer beauty”, and although highly known as a comedian, and no doubt wanting viewers to recognize her deliberate ‘funny’ twist to the commercial, I could not help but think about the thousands of teen women who watch the Ellen Show that may view this commercial on a more negative level. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment